Friday, August 21, 2015

Easy Nail Art: The Plastic Bag Mani

Easy nail art is my favorite nail art, that's why I love the plastic bag manicure! The technique itself is almost foolproof and it only takes a short amount of time to execute. There's nothing more annoying than spending a lot time working on some intricate bit of nail art that is always one wrong move away from disaster. Maybe I'm being a little dramatic, but you know what I mean. 


SUPPLIES NEEDED:
  • Nail polish (duh)
  • Top coat
  • Saran wrap, or any sort of plastic bag, ie: a Ziplock or a plastic grocery bag. It helps to have the plastic pre-cut into little squares that are a little bit bigger than your finger nail.

Step 1: Apply your base nail polish color and then a fast-drying top coat. I used OPI's My Boyfriend Scales Walls and HK Girl for both looks below. 

Step 2: Once your base color is dry, apply your accent colors in fairly big blobs in various spots on your nail. 

Step 3: Take a piece of your plastic wrap and place it over your nail. Lightly press down to marble the colors together, and then gently remove it from your nail. 

Step 4: Top coat and viola!

NOTE: This technique can get messy, so if you own a protective barrier product like Liquid Palisade you'll probably want to use it. 


(L-R) My Boyfriend Scales Walls, Van D'Go, Mint Candy Apple, Chinchilly, Bronze Beauty, HK Girl topcoat



(L-R) My Boyfriend Scales Walls, Tart Deco, Chinchilly, Did He Wink At Me, HK Girl top coat



I've been really loving using Chinchilly by Essie with nail art. It's such a great accent color that really pulls a look together. I can't wait to experiment with more color combos using this technique! I think the look it produces is really cool, and I just love how fast and easy it is. 

I hope this post was helpful in some way. If you want to see the plastic bag manicure in action there are lots of videos on YouTube and Instagram, and here's one by Young Wild and PolishedUntil next time, happy polishing!


No comments:

Post a Comment