Friday, July 3, 2015

June Haul and reviews

Hi guys! Somehow it's already July... How did that happen? I don't know about you, but for me the month of June just came and went in the blink of an eye. I love summer because I work at a college and over the summer we work four 10 hour days since the campus is closed on Fridays, which means 3-day weekends for 11 glorious weeks. It's wonderful, and it means I have more time for blogging (yay!), reading (yay!) and shopping (bad!). 

So over the summer my goal is to put up a bunch of how-to posts: how I paint my nails, shape them, photograph them, care for them... you get the picture. I know that I found those types of posts very helpful when I started painting my own nails, and I still hit up those kinds of things every now and then, just to see if there are any more techniques out there that could improve my routine. So if you're interested in those types of posts, stay tuned.  : )

But now, on to the haul. If you remember from my May haul, I told myself that in June I would be under a "no-buy" moratorium. Well, I almost immediately broke that promise because I found a super sweet deal on eBay for a lot of 4 Essie polishes that included three specific shades that were on my "want" list. But it was such a terrific price that I really don't care, I literally couldn't pass that offer up. After that I actually only bought one more bottle of nail polish in the month of June, everything else I'll be talking about below were all gifts. I did, however, buy a lot of makeup and makeup tools in the month of June, so I guess I really didn't do a very good job after all....



My June haul

So, let's start by talking about my Essie darlings. Like I mentioned before, I found a Buy It Now on eBay for a lot of 4 Essie polishes for $10, plus $3.58 in shipping. $10!!! If you break that down (including shipping), that made each bottle $3.40, which is freaking amazing. And then, when you hear what colors they were it makes it even more amazing! In that set I got Mod Square, Play Date, and Fiji, which were all on my wish list, and it also came with Fair Game, which I wasn't familiar with at the time. The color doesn't necessarily thrill me, and I haven't swatched it yet, but we'll see. I may post it on eBay if I don't like it. 

And then my Mom gave me a graduation present that included a bunch of the nail polish in this haul, two of which were Essie's. She got me Coacha'Bella from the Summer Neons collection, and (ironically) another bottle of Mod Square. I returned the extra bottle of Mod Square at Target, and at first I was going to exchange Coacha'Bella too because I felt like the color was just a little too ordinary, but I've decided to keep it after all. 


L-R: Fiji, Mod Square, Coacha'Bella, Play Date, Fair Fame

I have been wanting Fiji ever since Nicole from YoungWildandPolished ranked it #1 in her Top 10 Essie video on Youtube. And there's just something about wearing a baby pink polish that makes me feel all girly and pretty. I'll be doing a full manicure with Fiji soon, and we'll see if it has the bad formula everyone says it does. When I did the swatch below it took three coats for full opacity, which is not ideal, but with this sort of color I guess it's okay. It's very close to Romper Room, which I also have in my collection, but Romper Room is has more white it in, and Fiji is just a touch more pink. I freaking love Romper Room, so I know I'll love Fiji. 


Fiji---Essie

Mod Square is one of those perfect Barbie pink shades, sweet and girly. The formula was decent on this one. The swatch below was just two coats...

Mod Square---Essie

I am always drawn to purple polish, which is odd because the color itself is not one of my favorites. Play Date is a bright, fun shade, and something I see myself using for nail art...

Play Date---Essie

Coacha'Bella is described as a "molten magenta" on the Essie website. "Molten" doesn't exactly come to mind when I see this color, to me it's just a nice, fairly bright magenta with a decent formula. It dried quickly and to a semi-matte finish, which is probably due to it's quasi-neon formula. I did a full mani with this one, and it's pretty, but it doesn't blow my socks off, and it certainly isn't neon!

Coacha'Bella---Essie

And now we move on to something a little more exciting. I was at TJ Maxx and Did He Wink At Me? from Nicole by OPI kept speaking to me... I had seen it there before on other trips, but I didn't pick it up until now. I think it was $3.99, and it's the prettiest purpley-blue color and very opaque. I like the sort of colors that toe the line as to what shade they are. To me, this one looked more purple in the bottle, but then when I put it on it looked more blue. I don't know what it is, but I like it...

Did He Wink At Me?---Nicole by OPI

Lucky Penny by Bonita is another one that I'm kind of excited about because it's a pretty rose-gold metallic polish. The only trouble is that this one seems to be sort of a random find. I am fairly certain my Mom got this at the 99 Cents Only store, or some other store of that nature, and when I do a Google search for it virtually nothing comes up. When I was painting my nail for the picture below I did notice some visible brush strokes, but for a $1 bottle of metallic nail polish am I surprised? No. I might try putting a matte top coat on top of it, before I do my regular top coat, because I've read that that is a hack for fixing brush-strokey polish. If I try it I will let you guys know what happens. 

Lucky Penny---Bonita

I already wrote a blog post about this one, but I did get it in June, so I figured I'd throw it in too. In my June Ipsy bag I got the smallest, cutest little bottle of Power Source by Formula X. I had never tried this brand before, so that was cool. It's a super bright orangey-red color, and I actually really like it! It's more inspiring than Coacha'Bella, I'm just sayin'... The formula was kinda patchy, it took three coats to reach full opacity, which was kind of a bitch. But the color is really good, so I guess I can forgive them. The sneak peaks for the July Ipsy bags have a bottle of a mint Essie polish in it, obviously I am hoping I get that this month!

Power Source---Formula X

The final two polishes in my June haul are from my Mom, and I'm pretty sure she got these at the 99 Cents Only store too. The brand is Aziza, which I've never tried, and there were no names on either one. Lame. But they're very pretty colors. The lighter shade is a nice sort of blush colored pink, and the darker one is a basic raspberry color. I like the pale one more, just as a matter of personal preference. The only weird thing about these polishes (other than them having no damn name) is that they have a very strange smell. But, again, they're from the dollar store, so I wasn't expecting much. 

? and ?---Aziza

So that's all of the nail polish I added to my collection in the month of June. My nail polish rack that I got back in April is now officially full! I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Did you get any great new polish last month? Leave me a comment and let me know what you've purchased recently, and until next time, happy polishing!


No comments:

Post a Comment